6.27.2008

Cuddle, anyone?

So, a few years ago I was walking down Third Avenue on my way to work on the Upper East Side. A guy with a microphone and a camera crew approached me.
Excuse me, would you mind being interviewed for a moment?
Being shy and uncomfortable with attention, I flipped my hair and asked, "How's my makeup?"
Fine.
An assistant had me sign a waiver and then, on camera, the guy asked me if I had ever heard of a "Cuddle Party". I said that I had a cuddle party every morning.

Erica and I had just gotten Chulo at that time and every morning we'd have "Family Cuddle Time" with him. We'd set the alarm early so that we could do it. It was part of Chulo's recovery from his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that he had from his time spent homeless in Queens.
Would you ever cuddle with strangers?

I don't know. Maybe. If the timing was right.

There is an official Cuddle Party this afternoon. I'm going, would you come with me?

Absolutely. What time?
I took a lunch break that day and walked over to the Cuddle Party address. I got there and paced on the sidewalk for a few minutes. "Am I really about to do this? The interview guy seemed nice enough. What show did he say this was for? He promised that it was all very innocent and safe. Ok. I'll go. God. Am I really going? Yes. Go! Get up there before Interview Guy sees you pacing out here."

So I ring the buzzer.
Hello?

Hi. I'm here for the, um, Cuddle Party?

Buzzzzzzzzz.
The door unlocks and I make my way up to the third floor. I turn the corner and there they are. All four of them. In their pajamas. Three guys, one girl. The girl appeared to be making hummus. I looked inside for Interview Guy and the camera crew. Nothing.
Hey! Come on in! (Says the creepiest guy of them all.)

Uh. Is Interview Guy here? I was supposed to meet him.

No, not yet, come on in, he should be here soon.

Oh. That's okay. I'll wait for him out front.
Obviously, I ran. And I went at least five blocks out of my way to avoid Interview Guy and his camera crew.

Flash forward to today.

Today I stayed at home to get ready for our trip and on my breaks from washing sheets or writing dog instructions, some of my friends and I have been emailing each other increasingly ridiculous YouTube clips. In response to one, my friend Sparky sent this:Which reminded me of the Cuddle Party incident. So, I Googled. And, not only did I find the official Cuddle Party website, I found the show Interview Guy was from -- and the episode that he interviewed me for.I haven't watched it because:
1. I don't think I made the cut since I chickened out and ran away.
2. If I did make the cut, I would be horrified.

PS. The guy in the blue shirt is the one who answered the door. And yes, I believe those are chickens on his pants.

No comments: