6.19.2008

New York Stranger Love

I didn't realize it was supposed to rain until the man with the black plastic shopping bag tied to his head got on the train. As he sat across from me I also noticed that he was wearing a black poncho. But not your standard, major league sports arena poncho. It was made of poncho material -- plastic poncho snaps and all -- but it was designed like a trench coat.

When he got on the train I thought, "Dammit. I forgot my umbrella," and I went back to my sudoku game. He pulled out the NY Times and started making notes in the business section.

At one point our eyes accidentally met and I smiled, said, "Good Morning" and looked back to my puzzle. He said something I didn't understand.
Excuse me?
(Smiling with the biggest 4-toothed smile ever)
You are a natural beauty.
It was the sweetest moment. And thinking about it now still makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Only in New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And then, with a heartbreaking look in his eye, did he ask you to buy him an ear of roasted corn?
-vj