9.11.2008

Happy 9-11!

It's that time again -- the day we remember the most awful day in our country's recent history, and the day all of New York gets their panties in a wad because the memorial STILL has not been finished. Though I believe the design has finally been approved.

For seven years, Ground Zero has been a hole. Sometimes with fancy lighting, sometimes not. For seven years, New Yorkers who were in the city on 9/11/01, have watched every plane they've heard flying overhead to decide whether they're at the proper altitude or not. For seven years we have tip-toed around this date and kept it sacred and made a big deal about it. Not saying that it's not a big deal. It's a huge deal. But I am ready for September 11th to be a normal fall day again.This evening Dan is having an opening at his gallery and when I called to tell him about having dog pee on my hand yesterday (Tragic and awful story. I'm clean now.), I told him I couldn't make the opening because I planned to spend the day in mourning and re-tracing my every movement from that fateful day.
Fuck you! You're an asshole.
Turns out, Dan has received tons of comments and pseudo-complaints about the opening being today. You know, what if it's bad luck? What if it's disrespectful?

Seriously people. Isn't this exactly what the terrorists had planned? Doesn't this mean they're winning?

I respect the memory and the honor of 9/11. I was here in the city when it all happened and I am not the same as a result. But I don't feel that we have to be miserable every year in order to prove our reverence.

I, for one, will be attending the opening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn Thou. I was leaving a comment in your last post (my rss feed hadn't refreshed to show this one yet) and kept worrying what to put. I wanted to say our usual 'Happy 9-11' (hi 2002!) but then felt it was too tacky. So I sat poised at the keyboard, poised, worrying, thinking. What the hell should I put. Then I saw you already put it. Ass.