2.20.2008

Shoes for Rent


Remember when I was all excited about the Heidi Julavits c/o "The Believer" mail in my building's foyer? Well, thanks to my nosy neighbor and E's co-worker, I've uncovered some more information.

Turns out, sadly, that Heidi Julavits does not live in my building. (There go my bumping into Nick Hornby fantasies.) However, the explanation for why "The Believer" mail showed up is that Dave Eggers used to have a store/writer's workshop in my building. I'm not sure about the name, but I think it was Weird! A McSweeney's Store in Brooklyn. According to my sources, this was a place where you could rent shoes for an hour, pay to sit at a table in the store and peruse a huge chest of drawers that would have strange things in them like little nature scenes. Do you know how much it kills me that it's now a dry cleaner's? Though, a dry cleaner's is way more convenient.

Luckily for me, Dave has another store in my neighborhood. The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company. According to the website, they can help you with your nemesis problem.

I can not wait to go. Sarah Vowell, you may not be necessary after all. That's nice though because now when we meet, I'll be excited to meet you for you and not for who you can introduce me too. And that's a much better way to start a friendship.

No comments: