6.10.2008

Oprah Does It Again

So. I'm in my pit of despair today. Just feeling really shitty and worried and morose and wallowing in it. If I had been at home alone, I swear I would have put on an old Cure album and cried into my pillow. I am completely at a loss with what to do with the current family situation. Again. I swear. If she weren't my mom, I'd be like, "This chick is nothing but drama, and I don't need it." And I'd be out. But she's my mom. And there are different rules for moms. Frustrating.

A friend of mine, DP, from Fitzgerald was in town recently and she has known my mom for years. I was going through the saga and she said, "You know. I always felt that there was just something not right with her." I've had another old friend tell me the same thing. Honestly, it makes me feel better -- like I'm not crazy. When DP told me what she thought, I started squealing. "Right? Right? It's not just me!"

Now my sister and I are getting a lot closer and of course I am addicted to my niece so I can never get fully away. Though, it just occurred to me that maybe this is what Mom and Amy need. I've always been in the middle of their bullshit one way or another. Either Mom was telling Amy to be more like me, which made Amy hate me. Or, Mom was telling me what a piece of shit Amy was, making me hate Amy. And I am pretty sure that Mom's conversations with Amy were very similar to the ones she had with me. So, Amy has really never had much of a leg to stand on. It's like Mom's been gaslighting her into believing she's incapable of any amount of success or happiness for that matter and Amy has just been beaten into submission. The family was really just the three of us, so it was kind of two to one. Not that I wasn't being duped as well.

Now that I'm out of the picture, they have to deal with each other. Mom is very aware of my stance on all issues at hand, and therefore unless she meets my conditions (a recovery program) she and I have nothing more to say to each other. I still speak with Amy frequently, and do my best to support her. It's nice being on her side. She's nothing like what Mom said.

Sorry. I tend to go on tangents. And that one seemed like a good one -- a breakthrough for me in a way. Thanks for sharing the moment.

Back to Oprah. This is what I wanted to tell you about and it does relate in a way. So, I'm watching Oprah and it's a rerun of the Cris Karr interview -- the woman who did the Crazy, Sexy, Cancer documentary. And Cris is talking about how she's learned to live in the moment and she says, "Isn't worrying praying for what you don't want?"

No comments: