11.08.2007

Zen and the life of a commuter.

Now I realize dear readers that it is very likely you are tired of hearing about my commute to work and the suffering that I experience on my daily L train rides. I apologize. I too am sick of it, but let’s face it, I really don’t have much to talk about. Basically my life is, commuting, work, the gym and trying to spend time with “A” (I know, it’s disgusting but true, I’m totally that girl). Please forgive me for being so limited in scope, but listen you’re reading this so I figure you care about my life. Yes, dear reader when I picture you, I see you waking every morning and wondering, how is HRH? Is she happy? Is she growing as a person? That’s right, in my mind’s eye, our readers not only care about who we are but are concerned with our ultimate personal growth.

During a recent conversation with The Princess I was saying how I’d like to become one of those people who are calm all the time. She says that those people don’t exist. But I’m telling you that they do. I’ve encountered people who just let things roll off of them and I’ve always wanted to be that person. So in an attempt to find enlightenment I’ve started reading this book, Girl Seeks Bliss by Nicole Beland. I heard about Nicole (she writes a column on sex for Men’s Health Magazine called, “Ask the Girl Next Door”) on Dr. Oz’s show on the Oprah and Friends Network on XM radio. I am addicted to both the Gayle King show and the Dr. Oz show and listen daily while I get ready for work. This is a habit that drives “A” insane (oh, by the way, for those of you who don’t like that I write A in quotes, i.e. The Princess, suck it up, you’re not the boss of me and I like it in quotes, thank you very much). “A” does not think it is fun to both watch me get ready for work as well as listen to gossip during the morning hours. He would much prefer some hearty news. “A” is also not the boss of me. And if he were then I might not have heard about Nicole’s book on Dr. Oz’s show.

It of course is on my L train commutes that I stand, reading my book and learning how to be more Zen. This morning I was reading a story of how Nicole and her ex-boyfriend had been waiting in line for tennis tickets, when the line got jostled and they were pushed further back while others jumped ahead of them. Of course she was annoyed, but when she looked over at her ex, who is one of those calm people that The Princess says doesn’t exist, he still looked completely at ease. When she asked him why he said, “getting mad isn’t going to make things any better.” I swear people, that is one of the wisest things I’ve heard in a long time. This is a phrase I shall start repeating to myself, “getting mad isn’t going to make things any better.”

Guess what, I didn’t have to wait long to practice my new phrase, as the L train doors opened and people crammed into the train, elbowing me in my back, one girl even got her hair caught on my coat button. Of course my original desire was to scream, “Stop pushing me I’m trying to read my book on being Zen.” Of course then I began chanting to myself, “getting mad isn’t going to make things any better” (serenity now!).

1 comment:

flea said...

As always, thanks so much for your post and thanks for answering the $10,000 question.....XM or Sirius (boxers or briefs). I suggest one change to your new ZEN mantra, try....."getting mad won't make it any better....for that DUMB ASS" just a little more satisfying. Something you probably won't find in your current reading selection.