2.09.2008

Step One

I did it. I just got back from my very first Al-Anon meeting. No cookies. No free coffee. No tissues.

No tissues.

Even I as a first timer know there should be tissues. I have decided that I will become the bringer of the tissues and that's why I have to keep going back. (That and everyone said that to me simultaneously at the end of the meeting. "Keep coming back!")It was good. And fast. I kind of wished it were a longer meeting. An hour of personal trauma testimony on a Saturday morning just isn't enough.

I didn't talk. Though if they had gotten to me, I would have. However, I declined to participate in the show of hands section because I knew as a first timer they most certainly would have chosen me and that felt pretentious for some reason. Still, there was a woman who told almost my exact story, and just hearing her talk made me feel a lot better. Maybe I can now face that voicemail Mom left yesterday.

But first I'm going to brunch.

No comments: