2.07.2008

Stress on Seventh Avenue

E and I are fighting. Right now it's because I put too much kindling on the fire. Apparently there is a specified amount of kindling allowed per fire and it's related to the time of night but I'm not sure how.

We've been having stupid fights all night long. We're both having severe muscle spasms in our shoulders and we are cranky. I obviously blame my mother.

I think E was expecting that my return to Brooklyn would equate to me being okay emotionally about Mom simply by virtue of the mileage between us. Unfortunately, now that I'm home, I'm out of 'survive the drama' mode and I am strictly processing. This does not usually inspire much house cleaning or dinner making. It mostly involves staring at the TV and obsessing about what's happened and what might be happening right now. And, dear god, what will happen tomorrow?I know what's happening Saturday. Al-Anon. I don't know whether I'm already betraying the Anon part of it by saying I'm going, but I tell you guys everything. I'd feel like I was being secretive and as I learned on Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab, you are only as sick as your secrets.

I got a call from HJ today. I never get calls from HJ. Never. Until the past month that is. There is apparently some full moon type hippie shit going on. The last time I talked to her, she was hiding out at a cocktail party, chain smoking and hoping that they were serving pork for dinner, then today we had a conversation consisting of her saying, every 6 sentences, "Al-Anon. Seriously."

So I'm going. I think she's right. First of all, I could totally use some camaraderie in this. Secondly, I have always wanted to have a group session. I think that's why I'm so attracted to the addiction/intervention/rehab shows. I love the idea of group. (And that being able to relate so directly to most of their problems.) How fun to not only whine about your problems, but to whine to a captive audience? For free? Al-Anon. Seriously.

I'm nervous. And excited. Basically here's my Saturday plan; Al-Anon, Brunch, Yoga, Reflexology/Facial, Dinner, Birthday Party. I'm mainly afraid that my plan will dissolve into; Al-Anon, Bloody Mary Brunch, Uncontrollable Sobbing, Dinner, Birthday Party. (That was probably also problematic in the by-laws of Al-Anon.)

However, I have to find a way to work this out or E and I are going to bicker each other to death. She'll be irritated because she has handled way too many Mother-In-Law crises in this relationship and she's on the brink of snapping. And I'll be resentful because I'll try to not talk to her about the latest crisis, and then I'll be passive aggressive because I'm repressing. So I'm going to Al-Anon. And I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

VJ said...

So, I've been reading through your blog, and man! do you write a lot!! It is so great though and I'm really caught up in it. I only recently began trying to write and go weeks without a thing. But I digress.

I have been trying to figure out a way to offer you my support without sounding trite (especially after being absent for so long - I'm sorry), so I've only been able to come up with...I'm REALLY sorry about the trouble you're having with your family and that your mom is driving you crazy and I wanted to wish you super-belated congratulations on the success of your relationship (even if you're currently cranky with each other) and slightly less-belated congratulations on the new-ish home ownership.

I was looking for a personal email address for you, but couldn't find one and didn't want to email your work (Jay gave it to me). I know your plate is overflowing, but I hope you'll hang in there and that the pressure eases a bit.

And I got the friend request, but since I rarely use myspace, and for the life of me, I couldn't tell that was you in the picture, I didn't do anything with it. Obviously (having been to your blog) the picture is you.

I talked to Lanie yesterday and she said, "Guess who I've been in touch with lately..."

I do hope you keep well and get through things. Family drama sucks - I know from experience. So there's no need to reply unless you are so inclined. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope for the best. - vickie

Anonymous said...

It wasn't pork, it was cheese. Cheese can go from yellow to green, from creamy to stinky.

You'll be fine. Afterwards you'll say "I likeded it. And I was so funny they clapped"

(Don't forget - God as you understand him - you're actually encouraged to choose Smoking Baby! or Cookies. If they have them. I'll pray).