11.01.2007

The L Train Strikes Again


This morning I left 20 minutes earlier than normal only to arrive 30 minutes late to work. I ask of you, what is the point of leaving early if you will only get there later than had you left at your normal time. Here I am trying to do the right thing and stop at Whole Foods prior to work so that I can have some fruit and oatmeal today. So I rush like a crazy person to get out the door and still look cute. And this morning it even involved ironing, because The Princess had invited me out to an opening, which I will not be able to attend now because The Princess can be an idiot (if you doubt me, please see The Netflix Incident) and had the time wrong. Frankly, I would still be thinking I was going to this opening if Erica hadn’t jumped in (we don’t call her Fact Checker for nothing) with the correct time for the event.

That said I left the house 20 minutes earlier than normal and I was freshly pressed and still I didn’t make it to work on time. And do you know why? Because the L Train sucks. Seriously, I hate that stupid train. This morning, for no apparent reason it was just standing there with its doors open with a zillion people crammed inside and it wasn’t moving. So of course once it finally decides to move, the platform is jam packed with people. Thus begins the hideous cycle of every train arriving packed, opening its doors so people could cram themselves in and then driving away without me. You know why? Because I absolutely refuse to ride on a train that is so packed that I can actually feel someone’s breath on my neck (normally I am very fond of that feeling when it is the right someone (hey “A” wink, wink) , but not nasty Williamsburg strangers). So instead I am forced to wait and watch as multiple trains go by making me later and later.

While standing there watching the trains pass I happened to be reading an article in Health magazine about the flu vaccine. Frankly, I think those vaccines are pointless. They only protect you from three different strains of the flu and you can’t even be sure that those are the strains that are going to be floating around in your area. Not to mention, that almost everyone I know who gets the flu vaccine gets sick after receiving it. To which they usually say to me, “Yes, but I was only sick for a couple of days.” Um, okay, that’s how long I’m normally sick from the flu, so why would I trade that for a vaccine that makes me sick for sure, when I know there is a strong possibility that I won’t get the flu at all. The point here is that the writers at Health had a few suggestions for how to avoid getting the flu sans the vaccine. Guess what their number one suggestion was? “Avoid getting too close to strangers on a train.” Needless to say, I let the next train pass.

No comments: