8.03.2008

Help Me, Goddammit!

I just got up from one of those nights where you don't get rest because you spend all your dream time fighting battles or arguing or whatever unpleasant experience it is that keeps you from having a good night's sleep.

For me it was my wedding.

It's the day of my wedding -- my partner-to-be was unspecified in the dream, but I was wearing a huge peach dress and I was marrying a man -- and all of my old friends are there to help me get ready. Cara Lee from 7th grade was going to do my makeup. HeatherJeanne was going to do my hair. Another friend from early elementary school was there to help me get dressed and finish up any last minute things I needed. My ceremony is at 7PM and when the dream starts it's about noon. Plenty of time. But then the race begins. I can't find anyone. I'm checking into a hotel and staying on the 11th floor and I have to keep riding up and down in this elevator looking for people and my room and my room key (which I of course lost several times during the course of the fiasco). Turns out Cara Lee is sleeping in a car in the parking lot. She sees me running by in my dress with no makeup, no shoes and my hair has fallen out of it's curls and I'm completely frantic and as I fly past her she shouts, "We'll still be friends, right?"

"As much as we ever were," I reply with as much sarcasm and venom as I can muster in my panic.

Next thing you know it's 5:00, I've got two hours to get to the ceremony, I've just run back into my hotel room where my groom-to-be is having a party with all of my friends who offer no support, they just scream that he can't see me in my dress. Then I'm out of my dress, in the shower and attempting to get myself ready for the biggest day of my life while everyone else is outside the bathroom partying. HeatherJeanne comes in to tell me that she'll help me bleach my hair and Erica shows up to tell me that she hates my makeup.

All throughout the dream I kept waking up and thinking how exhausted I was and how I just wanted to get some rest. And every time I'd go back to sleep I'd be right back in the dream, frantic and frustrated and panicked. Finally I got up because I couldn't take the stress anymore.

Is it just me? I swear, I have dreams like this all the time. I don't get rest because in my dreams I'm panicked and frustrated and feel so helpless and no one seems to understand me. Most of the time these are the dreams were I'm rushing somewhere and all of a sudden my knees stop working.

And now, I'm awake and cranky and I have, "Get Me to the Church On Time," looping through my head.

1 comment:

flea said...

What in the world would your bridesmaids dresses look like? since the big puffy peach look was already taken?